Friday, June 12

Wilton Course 2 Finale!

Apparently it's cake week here at the Tipsy Hostess Blog because I've got another cake coming at you after this post. This post is much overdue but I wanted to share my Course 2 cake with everyone. Loved how it turned out! There was one teeny mishap, the front of my cake should have been the back. See my basketweave seam right up the middle? Gah, I was gabbing away in class and didn't pay any attention oh well...

Course 2 is called Flowers and Borders. We learned how to make the violet, apple blossom, victorian rose, daffodil, pansy, daisy, primrose and the chrsysanthemum. We also worked with colorflow and made cute little bluebirds but I didn't add them to my cake.


A little something I learned in class: If you have bags full of royal icing but you're tired of making flowers for the day, you can put the bags, tip down in a cup with a little water and tie off the back of the bag with a clothespin. This will keep your fast-drying royal icing from hardening until you're ready to get back to work. I kept mine like that for several days, just change the water frequently. Don't put the cups in the fridge!


And the flawless BACK of the cake :o) Oh well. See that anti-slip rubber mat there at the bottom? Yeah, highly suggest that you pick up some of that for toting your cakes to and from class. It will make the drive much less stressful! You can find a roll with the rest of the kitchen cabinet liners at Target.

The fun news is I'm officially signed up for Course 3! They weren't offering my class this month so I start July 9th as soon as we get back from vacay!

Here's what the sheet says you need to bring to class for Course 3:

• Pen or Pencil with note pad
• Transparent Tape
• Scissors
• Damp cloth or sponge
• Toothpicks
• Practice Board Set (from Course 1)
• Wax Paper
• Decorator Brushes
• Pink or Rose Icing Colors
• Parchment Triangles
• 2 Couplers
• 2 Featherweight Decorating Bags
• Small Spatula (straight or angled)
• Tips 3, 16, and 104 (from Course 1) and Tips 1, 2, and 5 (from Course 2)
• 1 24 oz box of Rolled Fondant
• 3 small plastic food storage bags
• white vegetable shortening
• measuring spoons

Course III Kit or equivalent (includes the following)

Tips 18, 68, 86, 127, 352
1-5/8" Lily Nail for decorating deeply-cupped flowers
5 rose bouquet fondant cutters (large and small blossoms, rose leaf,
calyx/sepal and forget-me-not)
Ball and veiner modeling tool for shaping petals and veining leaves
Thick and thin foam squares for easier modeling
Gum Tex Pouch helps make rolled fondant easier to shape
Decorating brush
White cake sparkles
Yellow Stamens
Cake Dividing Wheel
7 inch Bakers Best Pillars (4) and a 8 inch Bakers Best Plate;


Course 1 Class Buttercream Icing Recipe (I'll post below)

4 airtight containers, holding 1 recipe (3 cups total)
• 1/2 cup THIN consistency icing
• 1 1/2 cups MEDIUM consistency icing
• 1/2 cup MEDIUM consistency icing, with 1/4 tsp piping gel added
• 1/2 cup STIFF consistency icing

Wilton Class Buttercream:

1 lb sifted confectioners' sugar (approx. 4 cups)
1 tablespoon Meringue Powder
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla
Optional - 1 teaspoon Butter Extract, pinch of salt

Combine sugar and meringue powder in large bowl, set aside. Cream shortening, flavorings, and water. Gradually add dry sifted ingredients to creamed mixture. Mix thoroughly on medium speed. Blend an additional minute until creamy.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tipsy Hostess,
    Great cake, love your work and your blog!

    I'm passing along a "One Lovely Blog Award" to you today. To accept it you can blog about 15 other blogs that you appreciate and enjoy. Thanks!

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you commented on my blog so I could follow your link here. I'm totally loving your blog and spent an embarassing amount of time Friday afternoon catching up on all of it.

    So inspiring to try something new and perfect timing since I signed up for Wilton level 1 a few weeks ago (in Canada, so they're at Michael's, but I imagine they're the same thing). They fill up pretty quickly, so mine don't start until August. But boy! Does it ever look intense!

    Your cake looks great-keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you commented on my blog so I could follow your link here. I'm totally loving your blog and spent an embarassing amount of time Friday afternoon catching up on all of it.

    So inspiring to try something new and perfect timing since I signed up for Wilton level 1 a few weeks ago (in Canada, so they're at Michael's, but I imagine they're the same thing). They fill up pretty quickly, so mine don't start until August. But boy! Does it ever look intense!

    Your cake looks great-keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the prettiest course 2 final cake I've seen on blogs! I like it so much better without the birds on top :) It looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm way jealous that you can pipe flowers like that...I can do roses, but that is it!

    ReplyDelete