Sunday, June 7

So Simple Thai Lettuce Wraps!

As much as I love my crock pot, I have not had much luck finding a tasty Thai recipe. I've tried a few and they are usually a huge FAIL. But this recipe turned out so well, it doesn't taste like a typical crock pot recipe either. It's a definite keeper!


This recipe was found on a WW blog, Chews Wisely.
Check out her blog, it's full of healthy and filling recipes like this one!


What you'll need:
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, frozen
1 1/2 cups of Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Broth (optional, this is my addition, it's pictured below)
1 cup hot salsa
1/4 cup reduced fat peanut butter
1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
3 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
Fresh cilantro
2 cups of rice
1 tablespoon of curry
2 teaspoons of coconut extract
4-8 leaves of lettuce for wraps


Spray the crock pot with cooking spray and add chicken. In a separate bowl, mix together chicken broth,salsa, peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, ginger and jalapeno. Pour over chicken. Mix up a bit so sauce is distributed throughout the crock pot. Cook on low 6-8 hours.

After this I followed the suggestion on the Chews Wisely blog and threw some rice in my rice cooker for a side dish. Quick side story: My mom lives in the NC mountains for a few months out of the year, she lives in a small town and there are limited grocey store options so she's been missing her Coconut Curry Chicken Broth, she's been making her rice by adding curry and coconut extract and she's been telling me to try it. So I thought this recipe would be a good chance to give that tip a try and it worked well! This only works if you cook your rice in a rice cooker or a microwave steamer.

My husband and I are obsessed with lettuce wraps so I followed that suggestion as well. Just layer your steamed curry rice, your shredded chicken, and your fresh Cilantro inside a couple of lettuce leaves and you're set!



Here's the Infamous Thai Chicken Broth so you know what to look for. I buy minimum 4 at a time, it's got a great flavor. Florida girls, you can find it at Publix! Here in NC I buy it from Harris Teeter :o( Booooo we miss Publix!!

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog and find your ideas refreshing and entertaining!

    ReplyDelete