Wednesday, May 6

Wilton Course 1,  Final Cake!

I think I can officially say I have mastered the Wilton rose.   


Inspiration for this cake came from the cover of the Wilton book that came with my kit. I used the Wilton vine press to get the pattern on the sides, then covered with tiny dots.  Instead of the beaded looking border that was pictured on the book I did the leaf border I used on last week's cake.  The colors are Aster Mauve and Pink mixed together to get varying shades and Juniper Green for the leaves.  


This is a Lemon Cake with Mango Coconut Filling and Lemon Buttercream Icing.

For the Lemon Cake you'll need:

1 cup of butter
1/4 cup of shortening
2 cups of sugar
5 eggs
3 cups of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup of buttermilk
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1/2 teasoon vanilla extract

1.  In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.  Beat well after each addition.  Stir in extracts.  

2.  Pour into three greased and floured 9 inch round baking pans.  Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.

For the frosting I used the class buttercream but I substituted lemon extract for vanilla extract.  Easy and tasty!  I did triple the buttercream recipe, listed in my blog, to make sure I had plenty of frosting to work with.  



The Mango Coconut Filling! 
I found this recipe on cakecentral.com

What you'll need:
14oz flake sweetened coconut
7 fl.oz. Sweetened condensed milk
½ cup mango puree ( I just used jarred mango slices from Trader Joe's and tossed them in the food processor)

Just combine all the above ingredients and fill your cake!  I had more than enough filling for my three layer cake.  


I was really happy with the end result and I'm excited to see what I learn during Course 2!  I'm pretty anxious to start learning fondant so I'm thinking of picking up a DVD from Sugared Productions called Flawless Fondant.  I'm not sure I can wait until June to start playing around with some fondant of my own.  

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cake! :) Fondant is fun and WAY easier than buttercream in my opinion! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. Your cake turned out INCREDIBLE.

    Can I mention how jealous I am about your rose skills? I didn't use ANY of them on my cake. They were that bad ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you have mastered the rose! Beautiful cake and it sounds as good as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cake. Also wanted to say that I love the look of your page!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous roses, well done. I love the cake.

    ReplyDelete